It’s almost arrived…prom night is one of the biggest nights in a teenage girl’s life. Whether she’s dating or not, whether she needs to celebrate at home or she’s able to go outside, she deserves to dress up and enjoy herself on this night. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a petite or a plus-sized teenager…you deserve to wear a prom dress that both fits and makes you look amazing. If you’re stumped on finding that perfect dress for prom and you’re dreading the shopping spree, we’re here to help you. Here are our prom dress tips for the average teenage girl.
How to determine the style you wantOne reason prom dress shopping is so overwhelming is because there are so many choices regardless of your size! However, you can streamline the process and bypass having to look at dresses that don’t work for you by answering to yourself the following questions:
- What colours compliment your skin and eye colour the best?
- What kind of budget are you looking at?
- Do you want your dress to be short or long?
- Do you want to shop online?
Length tipsYes, just like bridesmaid dresses, prom dresses have their own advice on the lengths.
- Floor-length dresses are a great choice for several sizes and styles.
- For girls who want to draw attention to their legs the most or are super confident about them, knee-length dresses are the way to go.
- Mini-lengths should only be considered if you are a petite or you plan to wear pants or a skirt to prom.
Popular style choices per sizeThese will all vary depending on the cut of the dress plus your body type. We’ll go over each of the most popular styles so you can determine which of these looks would best suit you.
- The Mermaid. This style of dress tends to fit close to the body through the torso and hips, and then ‘fishtails’ out into a flare to the floor. Body sizes that this dress style flatters the most are for those with ‘hourglass’ figures (i.e. natural curves).
- The Ballroom Gown. Because every teenage girl may want to feel like a princess this evening, wherever she is. Teenagers who are top-heavy can wear this type of dress to draw attention away from their bust and instead to the full-blown skirt part of the dress. Balance is added, as opposed to taken away in this look.
- The Illusion. This type of dress is especially popular this year. Sleek, yet sophisticated and elegant, this style of prom dress is best for ‘pear-shaped’ women (i.e. your hips protrude compared to the waist and bust).
- Strapless/off-the-shoulder. If your neck and shoulders are the parts that you want to draw the most attention to, this style guarantees that to happen.