Fall is just around the corner! This is a beautiful time of the year, filled with warm colours, cool breezes (way cooler compared to summer!), great smells, and some fun holidays to look forward to. Why not capture the senses of the autumn season in your wrap dress style?
If you need help with styling tips for this time of the year, this is a pretty good place to start! Here’s some ideas on how to prepare your dress style for autumn.
First things first: clear out your closet
We knew this was coming, but it has to be done. This time of the year is when we really need to clear out or re-organize our closets of the lighter, spring and summer styles of clothes and make room for warm autumnal and wintery ones.
The best way to approach this task is to examine each piece of clothing you have methodically, one at a time. Get rid of anything you haven’t worn at all in the past year or no longer fits you (you can donate these to charity if they’re in good condition, or toss them if they’re full of holes or too worn out). For more tips on cleaning out your closet, you can check out our blog post. (Note: the post does focus on spring cleaning, but the great thing about these tips is they can apply to this time of the year too!)
Classic autumn colours = win-win
However your autumn dress should look, you can never go wrong with picking one that’s the colour of autumn itself! These are some classic ones you can consider.
- Neutrals (yes, paired with warmer colours these can be very festive!)
Other colours look best in darker shades this time of the year, such as navy blue, emerald green, and dark plum. You can mix and match dark shades with the classic, warmer colours associated with autumn, or use the colours as accentuations.
Autumn is not only the time of year when the evenings start to get longer and the days get shorter. It’s also the time when layering clothing can really help bring out your sense of style while also helping you stay comfortable!
- Temperatures can fluctuate in an average fall day; the mornings start off cool, the afternoons get warmer out, and then the evenings get cold again. If you’re going to be at work or school the whole time, you won’t have time to go home and change. That’s why layering other clothes over your dress can help, so you can take off one layer or put it back on depending on the time of day and the temperature it currently is.
- Short or long-sleeved shirts can be worn under your favourite oversized sweater or a cardigan, and over top lacy tank tops. Try pairing a lacy tank top with a sleeved shirt that has a scooped neckline. This can add a feminine touch (if you’re going for that!) while also keeping you warm.
- Leggings and tights look great with dresses this time of the year! Pair off these hosiery options with boots to really make your autumn style glow.
Break out those pants
Autumn in Vancouver BC is a season of rain and earlier dark evenings. Pair off your favourite autumnal dress with a warm pair of leggings or a light pair of jeans or pants that complement the colour of your top half. For example, black, navy blue, and grey pants go really good with the autumnal colours we listed above. Add a belt if you’d like to add an extra sense of professionalism to your style, such as for work.
When it comes to shoewear, boots, sneakers, and closed-toe shoes are definitely go-to choices with pants. You can wear fur-lined boots if it’s super cold outside; combat boots or other protective footwear if the weather is super wet; sneakers if it’s a warm fall day. You also have the choice to wear knee-high or calf-length boots, or riding boots. (These look great when paired off with jeans; if you’re slim enough or the boots accommodate your clothes, you can tuck the bottom parts of your jeans into your boots to give you protection from rain!).
Popular autumn accessories
Either you can dig these out of the closet courtesy of our first tip, or check out what’s on sale right now for the season. Wherever you decide to look, these accessories can go great with your autumn dress:
- Outerwear. Some of the most popular kinds of coats this time of the year include button-up cardigans or long-sleeved shirts, tweed or corduroy jackets, and long coats or trench coats. Feel free to pair your outerwear off with an umbrella in case it rains.
- Hat. Some styles of hats that are popular this time of year include the newsboy style hat or tweed or felt hats.
- Scarf. Try pairing your autumn dress off with a flannel scarf consisting of a pattern or solid colour.
- Gloves. Vancouver BC can be pretty mild this time of the year, so consider wearing fingerless gloves on cooler, sunny days or leather or suede gloves when it’s rainier out.
- Leg warmers. If you get cold very easily, then you can try adding these to your tights or leggings and boots.
Can I wear wrap dresses in autumn?
Yes, yes, yes you absolutely can! This is how flexible and versatile convertible wrap dresses are—you can lengthen out the sleeves you were wearing for your wrap dress in the summer, and shorten the length so it becomes a shirt to go with your pants or jeans. If you’d like, there are some good videos on how to style your wrap dress for cooler seasons like autumn that you are free to check out here.
Fall doesn’t have to be a dismal time when it comes to fashion. These suggestions can help you give your autumnal dress a really cool sense of style while also staying true to your personality! Have a great day!
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Love U Designs and a clickable link back to this page.